Immigration And Criminal Defense Lawyers

2 common non-immigrant visas

On Behalf of | Aug 1, 2022 | Immigration Law |

In the state of California, immigrants can acquire several different visas. Some are issued temporarily, while others are permanent. 

Each person should consider their situation and legal options to find the visa that best meets their needs. Learn more about these here. 

Non-immigrant vs. immigrant visas

The two main groups of visas given to those who want to come to the U.S. are non0immigrant and immigrant visas. A non-immigrant visa is given for those visiting the U.S. for a limited amount of time. An immigrant visa is issued to those who are moving to the U.S. permanently.

Two of the most common non-immigrant visas include:

Visitor visas

If you plan to come to the United States for no more than six months, you can apply for a U.S. visitor visa. These include:

  • B1 visas: These are provided to those visiting the U.S. on business.
  • B2 visas: These are provided for those visiting the U.S. for tourism (pleasure). 

Student visas

You can apply for an F or M visa for vocational and academic pursuits. What school you attend, and your field of study will determine if you need an F1 or M1 visa. For students, the types of visas available include:

  • M1 visa: An M1 visa is for vocational purposes only.
  • F1 visa: The visa available to students.
  • F2 visa: A visa given to dependents of an F1 visa holder. 

Sometimes, a visitor to the U.S. may decide that they want to explore their options for actual immigration. When that happens, it’s important to have experienced legal guidance. When you’re hoping to gain a temporary visa and permanent residence, you can’t afford misinformation or mistakes.